EMF Forms is a framework focused on the creation of form-based UIs. EMF Client Platform is a framework to support the development of applications based on an EMF data model.
EMF Forms and EMF Client Platform 1.5.0 are part of Eclipse Modeling Tools and will ship with Luna SR2, but you can already find the new release on our download pages:
In the 1.5.0 release and since September, we have closed 84 Feature Requests and Bug Reports. Apart from many small improvements and bug fixes we particularly focused on EMF Forms:
- Improving View Model Tooling, e.g. Domain Model References are now validated in the editor and show validation markers in the tree if they are invalid.
- Cascading Forms (Forms triggered from forms, e.g. TreeMasterDetail) now share a root context with root services such as validation. This improves performance and allows you to pass on context between forms.
- Domain Model References now allow sub references, which makes their use a lot more flexible. For example table domain model references can now use any domain model references for columns
- View Model Migration based on Edapt. We can now change the view model and offer automatic migration of your view models.
- Improved Error reporting in debug mode, e.g. invalid view models, which fail to load, are now properly reported.
EMF Forms and its tooling is now better than ever and it is a good time to finally get started with EMF Forms. Please refer to this tutorial for a introduction to EMF Forms. If you need some more motivation why to use EMF Forms, please see the video below ;).
At EclipseCon North America, meet us for our BOF on EMF Forms, at the Eclipse Foundation booth in the exhibition at Thursday, March 12th, at 4 pm and for our talk on EMF Forms. We are looking forward to meet you there!
We will describe the most notable new features of this release in a small blog post series starting next week. Stay tuned!
Update: The first blog post on the new features is available: Debug Mode for EMF Forms