It looks like Christmas is coming early this year for me.
From the looks of it, the Jetty project has plans to move to Eclipse.org, which means that we will have a first-class webserver developed at Eclipse. Imagine all the possibilities with Eclipse RT technologies like Equinox, EclipseLink, ECF, etc…. What’s even more important is these goals outlined by the Jetty team:
- The upcoming Jetty 7.x version for servlet-3.0 be hosted by Eclipse and would be dual licensed with both the current Apache 2.0 license and the Eclipse Public License (EPL).
- brings new potential contributors and resources
- the opportunity to help drive the OSGi standards past the 2.4 servlet spec
- taking the opportunity of repackaging to fix some bad practices (e.g., packages split over jars)
- Closer relationships with the growing OSGi communities
- Improved legal status through the foundations due diligence and procedures
I think this move is great for both Eclipse and Jetty ecosystems. I’m excited!